Tuesday, March 1, 2011

A Letter on Romance

My Dear Friends,

I do adore a good romance. Currently, you find me in the midst of a delightful book entitled Quo Vadis by Henryk Sienkiewicz. Since my lovely authoress, Jane Austen, I have not found a romance quite as fulfilling as her works. Miss Austen has a way of working the nuances of romance novels in a way that a modern day author lacks. I suppose the modern author fits the modern audience that wants a quick one night stand. However, for the few of us who treasure the true budding romance, Quo Vadis is exactly that.

Mr. Sienkiewicz develops his characters slowly in a way that imitates a cat stretching after a long delicious nap in the sunshine. His description of setting is luscious. Each word crafted into the paragraph chosen for quality and fit. Although I love his writing style, it is the way in which Mr. Sienkiewicz develops his romance that enthralls me. Every moment is painstakingly puzzled together. Mr. Sienkiewicz spares no expense of thought to better create a story that is eloquently told.

This is the type of romance that I live for, dear friends. A romance that buds slowly when no one is looking entrances those who suddenly turn to see a goblet over-flowing with sweet water. In stretching the mind to recall the exact moment when this love started dripping into the cup, no one can recall. However, the more gradual the love, the more brilliant it is. Gradual love is rooted in the depths of the soul that none can see.

Dear friends, how can we not love such beauty!

Yours,
Dr. Jeanne