Tuesday, October 18, 2011

a letter & response

Dear Dr. Jeanne,

I have decided there must be something wrong with me. Not a single boy has ever liked me nor have I ever had a boyfriend. I must have a third ear or nostril that I've never noticed before.

I have never had a boyfriend. There must be something wrong with me. You'd think by age 20, I would have had one. Nope. I'm as single as ever.

An oddball,
Ivy Thorpe

****

My Dear Ivy Thorpe,

Surely, there is nothing wrong with you. In this day and age, spinster-hood is rarely reached. People are both dating earlier and later. You happen to be one of those later-daters. Don't worry, hun. If you do have a third ear, I'm sure your someday-boyfriend will enjoy whispering secrets into it. And if you have a third nostril, you'll be able to enjoy this man's scent all the more.

Never fear. You aren't that strange. I didn't date till I was 25. And people might have considered me a spinster. Anyway, some boys are slower in the whole pursuit of women than others.

Go buy yourself a milkshake and smile.

With love,
Dr. Jeanne